Tuesday 24 July 2007

You are not alone

I found myself aimless wandering around the cemetery this afternoon trying to look for a tombstone. It didn't take long before I settled down on one that read 1983 - 2006. It is funny how little information Americans put on their tombstones. The tombstone had their first and last name, their date of birth, the day they died and something along the lines of "loving husband" or "The Hittler Family" (yes I did see the Hittler family with double "t"s). There was no picture of the deceased, no name for the person who buried their loved ones and no origin as to which state or city they were from. It seems almost opposite to their everyday life when they seem to want to talk about anything and reveal everything. But the less detailed the better I could relate to them.

I remember writing these words down once "I would like to think that in his world, time runs in a different manner, we would be joining him in his time 5 minutes later." I was afraid that he would be lonely but this time I was the lonely one. I felt the emptiness hit me on my way back from the cemetery. And then I imagined him standing beside me, he big hands stretched out holding my tiny one. He used to play tricks on me by telling me to close my eyes when I felt tired and he would hold my hand. All I had to do was to walk forwards with his pace. With my eyes closed and my heart trusting him, he would slam me against a light post. Today, I trusted him again. I gave him my little hand once again, closed my eyes and said to myself "you are not alone" and we walked down the road together.

I miss you Alan.

2 comments:

chicago said...

Sensing Alan's presence is special and sweet. He led you along and gave you space to ease down after non-stop play in the city of glass. What a guy.

mscheng said...

i never saw the big brother side of him .. but your entry made me smile ..

btw, not sure why my 'username' is snowmads .. this is santorini jen :)