Tuesday 8 June 2010

Art from 0725-0846 in the morning

1.
Blue Flower
Georgia O’Keeffe
1918
Pastel on paper mounted on cardboard
20 x 16 in. (50.8 x 40.6 cm)
Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, Santa Fe, New Mexico Gift, The Burnett Foundation 

Is it just me, or...?
Nice colour anyways.
http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=210&p=1&id=437#inicio

2.


Cloverleaf Quadruple Housing (project) Pittsfield, Massachusetts, 1942.
Interior perspective. Pencil, colored pencil, and ink on paper,
28 1/8 x 34 3/4 inches.
The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation FLLW FDN



Steel Cathedral (project) New York, 1926. Plan.
Graphite pencil and colored pencil on paper,
23 7/16 x 31 inches.
The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation FLLW FDN



Steel Cathedral (project) New York, 1926. Plan.
Graphite pencil and colored pencil on paper
23 7/16 x 31 inches
The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation FLLW FDN


http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=210&p=0&id=429&fid=0
Personally, Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture is about surprising you by constricting your human scale upon entry and then open up the exterior to surprise your senses with the dramatic change of scale and opening.
More than anything, he build his architecture with light.
My architecture friends, have a look at FLD's plans and section.
This is what I call drawing. It almost has a J.M.W. Turner quality.

'The beauty of Guggenheim is in its folding of the New York streets and turning the language of a long stretched street into a twirling gallery.' A.H.

 

The Fighting Temeraire Towed to Her Last Berth, 1838,  William Turner (1775-1851).
National Gallery, London, UK.

3.
Kapoor!!


'I am no silly Barbie Doll'
Kareena Kapoor
Age 30
 
No, not her... people say beauty lies in the beholder's eyes...

...
.......
............

...oops, I forgot what I was looking for...

Anish Kapoor!
http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=38536

4.
The New Porsche Museum.
I'll spare you photos of Peter Eisenmann's building. Forget the building, I want to see the cars!!
Damn, I thought I was already turned on.....
http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=210&p=0&id=414&fid

5.

Guess what people told Tim Burton while he was drawing in his youth.
'You can't draw'.

Hey, mum, I can't draw too, want to become my patron?
http://www.artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=210&p=1&id=440#inicio

I missed the show, but no worries, something exciting in MOMA as well!
Let's reclaim the water instead of the land, shall we?
http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/1031

6.


George Lois American, born 1931
Cover for Esquire Magazine, Issue no. 414, May 1968, 1968.
Offset lithography.
12 5/8 x 9 7/8" (32.1 x 25.1 cm).
Gift of the designer.

Does it remind you of any politicians in Hong Kong?
He will look great on a magazine cover like this.
Catholics, please pray for June 4th.

7.


Georg Baselitz, "Portrait Dr. Ulbricht".
Oil on canvas, 1970, 250 x 200 cm.
Galerie Springer + Winckler, Berlin.
Art Cologne: 2010


For some reason, this painting really scares me.
For art Festivals, I'd stick to Setouchi International Art Festival 2010 and Echigo Tsumari Art Triennial 2012 if I were you.
And if you were really me, you better check out the place where I work.
Sense Art Studio in Wan Chai, Hong Kong.

8.
Oops, no time and space for Shanghai World Expo 2010. Well, I don't want my blog censored, so I better keep my mouth shut.

'Long live WOW! architecture. Yay!'
...with a few brilliant exceptions, of course, one being the Danish Pavilion... OMG!
Real water, real mermaid and the return of the bikes... the Danes must be laughing their Frikadeller's off.

One nice comparison between Shanghai and Copenhagen:

- Shanghai planning department are proud to present their high speed complex road networks, boasting the fact that any car, once you get on the high way, you can reach any corner of the city within 2 hours drive.

- Copenhagen government, 'our plan is to allow bikes to arrive at the sea front within 15 minutes journey from any point within the city'.

Score: Shanghai 1, Copenhagen 0.
Who wants bikes in this industrial, civilised, developed world, right?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

About those brilliant drawings:
In my university colorful drawings are not well considered.. Why not? Colors represent what we are thinking about our project in a better way.

By the way, I will become a fan of your blog, specially the Art and Architecture blog entries. Take care James.

Bea

Juanjaime said...

Thanks, you should start blogging too!

Would be lovely to see your architectural drawings and models.

I keep forgetting which uni you go to.