Monday 3 August 2009

Unintentional Time Capsule

I just came back from a foreign land,

from a rice field with contemporary art to a city without much, if any, public art;
found myself sleeping in my old bed but in a new home;
had my first ever all nighter karaoke in Hong Kong with new friends right after a class reunion of seventy something friends I've known for more than 10 years;

I'm now sitting in front of a new room with the same monitor, same table, same chair, same keyboard, same speaker, same mouse, same standing light, but new room with finishings I have never seen in my life.

New height, new orientation, cars and birds singing from behind my head instead of to my right. Light penetrating from unfamiliar angles onto a furniture I've seen for 10 years but now seems all too alien.

People are prepared to get lost when they travel to new places, I was not prepared for myself to get lost in my own home.

As I continue to stumble around in this thing called 'home', I found a green ipod mini from 5 years ago and is once again trapped in a world of alien familiarity, of a reconstructed memory of long gone times, flashes of people who have stayed and who have gone.

A new Bose headphones that was lent and returned plugged into an old green ipod mini that was lost and found.

Please don't ask me what happened in that foriegn land, I am still living in one.

No comments: